Fabulous Fermented Food
Fabulous fermented food is a subject close to my heart because I feel it is one of the major pieces of the puzzle missing in our modern diets. Click this link to find out more about a modern day healthy diet pyramid. Of course, back in the day before refrigeration, fermenting foods was the main way foods were preserved. Therefore it could be eaten at basically every meal. Now days it is hardly consumed at all. This really is likely to be an issue for peoples health.
Beneficial bacteria may be the first thing you think of when you think fabulous fermented food. Yoghurt is a food we generally think of when it comes to good digestive health. A reason I prefer fermented foods as a source of beneficial bacterial is that there are literally hundreds of beneficial yeast and bacteria. These occur in each serving of foods of beverages which has been fermented. A probiotic capsule usually has anywhere from 1-7 types of beneficial yeast and bacteria. There really isn’t a comparison to be made. Each individual species usually has its own role to play. For example, there is one species for respiratory conditions. There is another species for IBS. So foods win hands down right. Fermented foods are fabulous just because of the variety of species they contain. More on the benefits of fermented foods later.
What disturbs our gut flora
Healing the Gut
Many people refer to our gut as our first brain. Did you know the tissue that creates the stomach is the same tissue that the brain evolves from. As a fetus it separates into 2 systems, the brain and the enteric system. It has its own network of neurons and has own feelings.
When were nervous we get butterfly’s in our stomach- that is coming from our first brain.
Saying like- ‘I have a gut feeling’ or ‘I’m feeling like crap’ originate from the gut.
It would make sense then, that when your gut is out of order so is our brain. Accordingly, we may be feeling down. Healing the gut with fabulous fermented foods and broth really is so important.
Benefits of Fabulous Fermented Foods
- Kindly adds beneficial yeast and bacteria to your gut improving your overall digestive system.
- During the fermentation process nutrients will be created such as vitamin K2. This is important for our bone health.
- The great thing is that fabulous fermented food are easier to digest because they are already partly digested. Therefore,it is so much easier for your body to digest.
- Grains and legumes contain phytates. These may be very difficult to digest, but, when fermented they are easier as they are predigested.
Examples of Fermented Foods
- Sauerkraut is the most well known and traditional from Germany
- Different vegetable combinations of fermented vegetables available on the market
- Sourdough bread- although this has no beneficial micro organisms as they are killed the during cooking process
- Of course alcohol
Practicalities of Sourcing Fabulous Fermented Food
- Aim to avoid any type of fermented food that contains vinegar. This is not traditionally made and doesn’t contain any of the beneficial yeast and bacteria essential for good health.
- It’s best to source fermented foods which are refrigerated. They are easy to come by these days in health food stores.
- You may well like to learn 1-on-1 via a personalised lesson how to make fermented foods. Check out our Digestion Detox Package.
So there you have it. Fabulous fermented foods are yum, easy to source and healthy. Enjoy.